The story of Center Church goes back more than two centuries, but is one small part in the grand story of God's faithfulness to His global church.
The first historical records of Centre Church are found in the minutes of the Presbytery on April 22, 1801, when Centre Church and Plain Grove Church requested that a minister be installed. Rev. William Wood was ordained and installed on November 3, 1802, to serve both congregations. The name "Centre" (later changed to "Center") was chosen due to its location midway between Plain Grove and Coolspring.
In 1838, the present sanctuary of Center Church was built on three acres of land purchased from George Zeigler. Center Church is the oldest church in Mercer County, and its sanctuary is one of the oldest public structures still in use in the County. Numerous additions have been made over the years, including the manse (1941), the Christian education wing (1967), the outdoor chapel (1986), and several significant renovations (1973, 1996, 2021).
In 2013, Center Church changed its denomination affiliation to the Evangelical Presbyterian Church: a denomination of Presbyterian, Reformed, Evangelical, and Missional congregations. Within the EPC, Center is a member church of the Presbytery of the Alleghenies.